Statcounter

Sunday, June 13, 2010

22. Kangaroos and Oranges


As I have written before, I work, unpaid, as a classroom assistant in our local primary school. The children in the school are aged from five to eleven and are very different from the 11 – 19-year-olds that I used to teach in London.  The children in the class that I assist are aged 10 and 11.
One morning I was met by a substitute teacher as Ms Hunte, the class teacher, was away on a course.  I introduced myself and explained what kind of thing I normally did.  The woman, Ms Devonne, started working with the class and seemed to me to be doing a pretty good job.  After about half an hour she needed to set up a projector and was having some difficulty.  She needed time to sort it out and used her creative skills to make time.
“Mr Terry will talk to you,” she announced.
I was put on the spot – again!  (Different teacher, same technique)
Some mathematical facts and oddities can be the basis for a diversion needed at a time like this.
I decided to put on a show:
Me                 
Who would like to be astounded?
Class 6H       They’re not streamed.  H stands for Hunte, their class teacher.
Me, me, me, me, me …………………
Me     
I will be astounded if anyone can tell me what astounded means.
Chander       
It means, amazed or astonished, Mr Terry.
Me     
You’re right and now I’m surprised and flabbergasted. I’m shocked and dumbfounded but not surprisingly, speechless.
I needed to distract them so I asked them to write down as many adjectives that they could think of beginning with the letter ‘S’.  While they had their heads down, I went and wrote on the back of the whiteboard. The class couldn’t see what I was doing and when a boy asked what I was doing, I told him I was having a pee.
Incidentally, I could be in trouble because of that.  Caroline warned me that Cayman kids are unlikely to have never met anyone like me before and that they always believe every word the teacher tells them. They are endearingly innocent and naïve and the concepts of irony, sarcasm and taking the piss are completely unknown to them. After 35 years of teaching in London, it is wonderfully refreshing.
I checked once more and 6H confirmed that they were more than prepared to be astounded and some of them were very eager to be amazed too.
Chander confided to me that she didn’t think they could be ready to be both ‘astounded’ and ‘amazed’ as they are synonyms.  I thanked her and then, with a theatrical flourish I addressed Ms Devonne.
Me     
Don’t tell me what it is but think of any number that you are sure you can multiply by 9.
Then, looking at 25 eager faces,
You lot - do the same.  Think of a number and multiply it by 9.  Make sure you’re right by checking it with the multiplication table on the wall.
(They probably didn’t need to check because they are all very good at their times tables.  They learn them by rote and chanting one or two aloud, at least once every day. 
In my opinion, rote learning is always effective.  It does not lead to understanding, but facts are learnt.  9 x 7 = 63 is a fact.  The understanding of how and why nine sevens are sixty-three is unimportant and unnecessary for everyday life.)
OK, you have multiplied that number by 9. Your answer will either have one, two or maybe three digits in it. If it has two or three digits, add them together and find the total.
OK? Everyone ready? …… Now take away 5 from that total.
When all the preparations were complete, I spoke to Ms Devonne again.
Me     
Ms Devonne, If, 1 equals A, 2 equals B, 3 equals C and so on, work out the letter that matches your number. Then think of a country that begins with that letter.
Done that?  OK.
Now take the last letter of the country and think of an animal that begins with that letter.
Right, now take the last letter of the animal and think of a fruit that starts with that letter.
Addressing the class,
I will say a sentence and every time I pause I will point at Ms Devonne and she will fill in the missing word.
This is what happened:
“Yesterday while visiting a zoo in FRANCE, I saw an ELEPHANT eating a TOMATO
She looked perplexed. The class didn’t look astounded and nobody looked very amazed. I probably looked embarrassed.
I was desperate to try and salvage something.
Me     
Did anyone get anything different?
Some of the children put up their hands and I pointed at Chander. Expecting the worst, I asked her what she got.
“DENMARK, KANGAROO and ORANGE,” she said.
There were a few gasps of amazement from the other kids.  Feeling very relieved and almost euphoric, I swung the board around and then there were genuine gasps of astonishment because on it I had written:
Yesterday, while visiting a zoo in DENMARK,
I saw a KANGAROO eating an ORANGE
The children were so excited because I had done what I had said I would do – I had astounded them.
Only Ms Devonne didn’t look too impressed. Then Chander ruined it all. 
“What number did you think of Ma’am?” she asked.
“I can’t remember.” 
“You must be able to,” insisted Chandra.  “What was it? I thought of eight.”
When the children had gone to lunch, a puzzled Ms Devonne told me that she couldn’t see why it had gone wrong for her.
“What number did you think of?” I asked.
“Seven,” she said.
“What are seven nines?”
“Fifty-six,” she said.
--------------------------------------
This is why it should usually work:
Any number multiplied by 9 = z, and the digits of z added together will come to 9, eventually.
So, for example:
 1 x 9 = 9       
3 x 9 = 27                                                   2 + 7 = 9       
53 x 9 = 477                    4 + 7 + 7 = 18     1 + 8 = 9       
723496 X 9 = 6511464    6 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 6 + 4 = 27         
                                                                    2 + 7 = 9
And 9 – 5 is 4
So:  if 1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, then 4 is ALWAYS ‘D’.
Apparently, 98% of people, when asked to think of a country beginning with ‘D’ think of Denmark.
Virtually everyone then thinks of Kangaroo. If someone buggers it up by saying, “Koala,” tell him or her that the Latin name is koaloo eucalypto. It’s not but they won’t know that unless it’s Chander.
Orange is the only fruit most people can think of beginning with an ‘O’

When I tried it out on Caroline she came up with, “a Camel eating an apple in Dominica. Perhaps it’s because of where we live in the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment