Statcounter

Sunday, March 14, 2010

9. Mr Who?

This ramble is especially for David.  He’s been mentioned before in other offerings (Relationships - click to see). 

He never has anything positive to offer but he complains to me about the effort it takes to log on to the site and then, the length of the pieces that I expect him to read once he’s gone to all the effort to get there.  This one is written with David in mind.  

237 words and I reckon it will take him less than a minute to read it.  

Of course, whether he can concentrate for that length of time is a different matter.

****************

I’ve told you before (arthritis cure) of the confusion that I sometimes experience because of the difficulty I have in interpreting the Caymanian accent and my frequent inability to understand what a Caymanian is saying to me.

The twenty condos in our development share an antenna for TV reception.  Recently, we have all had terrible reception and the company’s engineers have visited us several times.  On Friday I phoned again and asked for the name of the chief engineer.  

“Mr Antennae,” I was told by the guy at the help desk.  

“That’s funny,” I said.  “Does he see more than one then?”  

“More than one what?”

“Well, antennae,” I said, beginning to realise that it probably wasn’t as funny as I had first thought.

“Yes,” he said.  “That’s his job. That’s what engineers do.”

“Yes, I know they do but isn’t it funny that his name is Mr Antennae?”

“Why?”

“Well, I think it’s called ‘nominative determinism’.  People tend to do a job that fits their name, like someone called Sue who is a lawyer.”

“So, what’s that got to do with Mr Antennae,” he said, starting to sound irritable.

“Well, I think it’s a bit odd and I’m a bit surprised that you don’t think it is too.”  

I was desperate for him to get the joke and so I said, “Spell antennae please.”

A      N     T      H      O      N      Y

“OK. Thanks.  So, will you tell him about the problem please?”

No comments:

Post a Comment